Save Coloma's State Historic Park!



In the efforts to keep a valued asset open, Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, the birthplace of the California Gold Rush, the craze of the 49ers, and the development of the Sacramento Valley, I see my role as a supporter of the Gold Discovery Park Association and an advocate for the ongoing preservation of this beautiful California State Park!

Monday, April 12, 2010

The Door Knob . . . .

Ok, so Friday I arrived at Marshall Gold about mid-afternoon to see what I could see and get in some photo practice while the sun was still shining. My goal was to experiment with close-up photos for a class I'm taking online, while also getting some images for the GDPA Newsletter article on Spring in the Park. The lilac and morning glory blooms were abundant - as was the delightful breeze, which tried my patience in my attempts to capture an image of a perfectly still flower. After deciding this was going to be futile, I began to look for something solid to study close up and settled on a door knob at James Marshall's Cabin.
When I'm out and about in the Park I usually wear my docent badge and when visitors see it, it's an open invitation to ask questions about the gold rush and Coloma's history. So I'm about 15 minutes into concentrating on taking pictures of this door knob and look up to see a small family patiently observing me work. Dad apologized and said that they didn't want to startle me, and he then noticed that I'm a docent and asked if this was an important door knob. Immediately my mind starts to sift through what I remember from my docent training and I draw a blank about the historic significance of building hardware. So I tell him no, I just thought it was a really cool door knob. This family gathers around the door knob, study it, and agree that it's a really cool door knob. With big smiles they thank me and enthusiastically move on to study James Marshall's outhouse.
I have to say that these are the people moments I enjoy the most . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment