Save Coloma's State Historic Park!



In the efforts to keep a valued asset open, Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, the birthplace of the California Gold Rush, the craze of the 49ers, and the development of the Sacramento Valley, I see my role as a supporter of the Gold Discovery Park Association and an advocate for the ongoing preservation of this beautiful California State Park!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My River of Gold

by Kathleen Young

Deer by Weller House










Deer emerging from under the Weller House
this past September














I've spent a lifetime visiting Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park (MGDSHP) in Coloma, California. When my wanderings brought me to live in El Dorado County ten years ago, the Park became a central location for my husband and me to hike, picnic, and bring visitors. It wasn't so much that I'd been particularly interested in the Gold Rush or California history. That came later. Coloma has always been for me one of those destinations that once I arrive it feels like home, a reason to smile, no worries . . . go figure. I'll look for any excuse to just be there.
I remember one day realizing that we spent most of our time at the Park during the off hours - typically after work - and that meant we weren't paying use fees. I felt badly about that, but not because I thought we were cheating . . . we weren't contributing. So I went over on a day off and had a conversation with one of the rangers and joined the Gold Discovery Park Association (GDPA). Now that was cool! Membership came with a parking pass for the year, discount at the Mercantile, and a newsletter. Hmmm . . . I wondered if they ever needed volunteers . . .
Well, in 2004, I was invited to enroll in docent training. That did it. Marshall Gold is now stuck with me. At docent graduation I felt like I'd been handed the keys to the kingdom, the ability explore, be creative, and contribute to the ongoing preservation of this little gem of a town . . . . and if my friends aren't careful they all get recruited at some point for a special event or program. My husband has learned to be knee-deep into a critical project at home or risk being sucked into the vortex of my "park projects" and ever-expanding closet of period clothing, accessories, books, and scripts. His preference is a brisk hike up Mt. Murphy to take in the view of the American River and the quieter side of Coloma.

No comments:

Post a Comment