Save Coloma's State Historic Park!



In the efforts to keep a valued asset open, Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, the birthplace of the California Gold Rush, the craze of the 49ers, and the development of the Sacramento Valley, I see my role as a supporter of the Gold Discovery Park Association and an advocate for the ongoing preservation of this beautiful California State Park!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

so why a blog?

Ok, that's what got me here . . .
Chinese Store

 












Man Lee Store, November 2009
In docent training everyone is encouraged to consider participation in any number of programs - Saw Mill, Blacksmith, historic building interpretation, library and research, etc. My choice was the Cemetery Committee focusing on preservation, interpretation and awareness of the two historic cemeteries in Coloma - Pioneer Cemetery and St. John's Cemetery. We created a small performance group who research, script and perform vignettes about the lives of people buried there. We put out the flags and crosses for Memorial and Veterans Days, document the condition of the cemeteries, and advocate for their preservation. In addition to spending a great deal of time over the years photographing the condition of the cemeteries, I had been asked to work with another docent to photograph and catalog all the historic signage in the Park. This all led me to spend an increasing amount of time wandering throughout the park with my camera practicing what has become my newest passion - photography. When I'm out and about in the Park or cemeteries I have the opportunity to meet interesting people and experience mindful moments with the diverse inhabitants tucked away in the nooks and crannies of this beautiful little spot that for a few years, for better or for worse, was the center of the world. I'm hoping that sharing these stories will encourage people to come here for the first time, and interest those who have been here before in returning to be curious about what is still here to be discovered.
Until next time . . . . I hope see you around the Park!

Reflections - Marshall's Cabin
Fall Reflections, James Marshall's Cabin, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment